When life gives you lemons…make muffins. January is citrus season in some parts of the country, so you’ll find an extra selection of lemons, oranges and limes at your grocery store. They’re also often on sale! While it’s not quite lemonade weather (aside from those random warm days), we always love the combination of citrus and sweet. The Greek yogurt and coconut oil will make you feel less guilty for wanting seconds.
Healthy(ish) Lemon Muffins
- 1⅔ cup flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt (we prefer lemon flavored)
- ⅓ cup milk (you can use non-dairy if sensitive)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (up to 2 tbsp if you love lemon)
Glaze: (this is optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
Step by step:
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Line muffin pan with baking cups or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together coconut oil, yogurt, milk, egg and lemon zest together in a medium bowl.
- Stir in flour mixture just until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for several minutes before removing. Place on a cooling rack.
Glaze: (We can’t with good conscience call these “healthy” when we add this)
- Combine lemon juice, powdered sugar, and lemon zest in small bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Drizzle over muffins a few minutes after removing from pan.