Finding a senior living community for yourself or a loved one can be confusing, frustrating, and just plain exhausting. We are here to help!
Before you start your journey, it’s important to gather as much information as possible about your options. Just like people, senior communities come in many shapes and sizes. Unless you are shopping for yourself, try to remember to focus on your loved one’s likes and needs rather than things you personally enjoy.
Here are a few tips to help get you started:
- All communities are required to have daily activities and meals for residents. Ask to see a copy of the activity calendar and menu. If you’re around during mealtime, don’t be shy about asking to try the food for yourself.
- Be sure choices are offered! These can include things like providing residents options on the arrival time of housekeeping, entrée choices at mealtime, and a variety of group and individual gathering spaces.
- Are there opportunities for residents to socialize? Socialization helps keeps residents healthier and happier! Isolation is a major factor when it comes to emotional, physical, and cognitive health issues. Your loved one will make friends more quickly in an active community.
- Do the research! A simple google search is also an excellent resource to begin searching. Websites will provide basic information, location, amenities, care options, and entertainment details.
- Look for online reviews to get a sense of the quality of care and staff. Still, nothing beats checking out a community in-person.
- Don’t be afraid to schedule more than one tour. Ask a friend or relative to join you.